Summertime means lazy days outdoors. Find some easy meals to cook and eat on the back deck. Gail Lee Martin shared this recipe that’s perfect for this time of year. It was originally published on the eHow website.
“My youngest daughter, Shannon, and her family used to work each year at the Walnut Valley Bluegrass Festival. They would make this huge batch of baked beans for feeding all the workers. Try this recipe for a campout or backyard BBQ. You can double, even triple it, for feeding a crowd.”
- 1/3 pound hamburger
- 1/3 pound chopped bacon
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup catsup
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 can kidney beans
- 1 can lima beans
- 1 Tbsp vinegar or pickle juice
- 1 tsp mustard
- Brown the bacon and hamburger and drain off the grease.
- Add all the other ingredients (the cans of beans and the seasonings). Stir it well to mix everything.
- Bake in a 350-degree oven for 45 minutes. As an alternative, you can cook it in a slow cooker following the directions in its manual.
- Serve it warm. It reheats well so you can take it to potluck dinners.